Storing bobbins

I have racked my brain off and on, and a lot, trying to figure out a way for people to store the bobbins. One could always buy little containers, with sections, like tackle or craft boxes, and put them in there. Or find cabinets/drawer units, that one could put dividers in (like old school card files at the library). In short, there is no ONE way to store any floss system. But, because these bobbins are unique I feel like it is my duty to help customers figure it out! And I sadly love a challenge!

When I first started doing cross stitch, back in the 80s, I had those binder pages that would hold the cardboard floss bobbins. I actually had that still laying around until last year! So I thought, I could make plastic pocket pages for binders, but no one wants to pay for the time that would take! For example, I did make some Floss Inn pages that would be stored in a binder but they would have cost more than $60 a page so I gave up on that one!

So racking my brain I thought that card collector pages may work. I got to town yesterday and picked up some at walmart. They seem very sturdy, although thin. I put a bobbin in and it immediately wanted to slide out so the issue became how to make sure the bobbins won't slip out.

I put the bobbin in one of the small zip locks I sell. Still slipped out. I taped felt inside the pocket and that seemed to do the trick but there is really no easy way to glue anything to plastic, especially if you have to carefully open the pocket to glue! I tried making something of a bumper at the top inside of the pocket to keep the bobbin inside, and nope.

I then thought sandpaper. I have a bunch of 220 grit I got recently at the thrift store. I slipped that in the pocket. I did not like to feel the sandpaper so that was not going to work. And, who wants to look at the printing on the back of the sandpaper, which you would see on the other side of the page. So I cut cardstock pieces, and glued half pieces of sandpaper to those. I made them a hair or more smaller than the pockets and slid in. Viola! It works!


I thought that was it......

BUT then my husband had some of that craft foam and I tried cutting a piece of that and slipping it in, and IT WORKS!!! I always seem to work out problems where I over complicate, then simplify! LOL Believe me I have a lot of supplies because this happens a lot! Yay for foam!


As soon as I get more foam I will cut pieces and start selling these on my website. They will include the zip lock baggies. I will probably offer it all along with 9 bobbins too, sort of a page kit.

Comments

Popular Posts