Bobbin Bureau progress

Happy Monday. I know, most people hate Mondays, but I kind of like them. That is likely due to the fact that for 15 years I worked from home as a writer/researcher, contracting my services out to a company in NJ. My one day off a week was Monday!
I love a challenge, even if it frustrates me. I KNOW there is an answer to the problem I have regarding any ideas. I went through it for months with The Floss Inn, KNOWING it would work! Prototype after Prototype, with each step thinking this was it! Then nope it was off.
I had been mulling how to store my bobbins off and on. I know most people just readjust a tub, or set of drawers, or whatever, to meet their floss needs. So I finally brought the mulling to the front of my brain to figure out. I wanted something that people could use with regular bobbins as well as my bobbins. After all I do not expect everyone to love my Inns as much as I do. Everyone has their own way of doing things and not everything works for everyone. That is part of the wonder of our creative natures and I love it.
So here is my first attempt. I figured it would be a throw away but wanted to get an idea. I also figure that the first REAL successful Bobbin Bureau would be mine (where I will put it is another problem as my work space is literally about 5 1/2' square). My first drawer had only 3 sections and that was not going to work!!!


Part of the problem there was that the bobbins, if they were to stand up, would need to be in little zip lock bags that would be too tall. (I am trying to conserve wood and also, therefore, the price passed along in terms of supplies). And putting them in and taking them out of the bags would be an extra step when all you want to do is stitch! I love the drawer though!
All day yesterday was spent at my 8ft long kitchen table (I made it) with my scroll saw, sawdust everywhere! I struggled through the measurements, lots of 16th of an inches being thrown around! Finally I thought VIOLA! I got it!
With the sun going down and that fabulous moon rising (I am lucky that I can see the moon rising from my work chair) this is what I had.

Dividers! So the owner can choose their sizes and it is only 1 1/2" tall so everything is a perfect height to take things out, put them in, and not get too chaotic. Well at this point I realized that my Inn bobbins would cause me problems. I pull out a couple and then the others would fall over. I would get disgruntled at a product that did not make my life easier, if it was claiming to do so! Especially with my bobbins, which are unique. I want to be able to put bobbins in, take them out, without making me think too hard!!! How to keep those bobbins in place!!!!!!!!!!???????? 
Ohhh I thought I can drill placement holes where the bobbins can sit! Yes! So I watched a fun movie and some old silent cartoons on TCM and went to bed. 
This morning I tried the drilling holes (I even made a carefully measured template with holes for marking)....ugh NO!!!! LOL!!! A total mess. Fortunately this is my bureau so I won't mind. I may just lay some cardstock on that spot and ignore it! 


After a bit of frustrated thought I had an idea!!! And when I did it up it seemed to work perfectly. Stay tuned!! Off to work on it on this blustery high desert sort of day. Winter is never really over here until June...may snow today? eh probably just hail LOL
I am excited! I think I can see light at the end of this tunnel on this beautifully blustery day!!! I should probably go feed the woodstove anyway. 


Comments

Popular Posts